Aug 20, 2017

Fun times.

I haven’t posted this week which bothers me given the fact that I’ve been pretty good about putting up regular content for most of this year.

But, in my defense... aside from the very nice infection I have in my jaw that provides me with a more or less constant reminder of what it is to be in pain, let’s just add to that the very disorganized and scattered ‘team’ I’ve been working with who don’t appear to plan all that well or communicate much better.

This week I had the wonderful luxury of being at work until 1:15 in the morning. This of course was because someone couldn’t manage expectations properly and decided to bring something in at 4:30 promising the client it would be ready the next day.

I have to confess to a great love of people who are in positions of authority and who don’t manage expectations except on the backs of others. In this case there was the jewel of being told late (around midnight) that I could just not worry about being in on time the next day and that I could come late, say 10am (when my normal start time is (9:30am). You’ve got to love that.

Needless to say I walked in my door sometime around 2:30 and didn’t get to sleep until 3:30 and really wasn’t all that worried about what time I would get in the next day if I got in at all. The funny thing about work is that while I do care about my work and the quality of it, I really don’t pay much attention to people who are idiots.

The next day I got up around 10:30 and then sent an email saying that I would try to be in by 2 but honestly within the next hour I felt so incredibly spent, spent in the sense I could actually feel it in my shoulders (I know it sounds strange but it’s true) that I tapped out. And when I did go in the following day I had a conversation with the folks in HR about managing expectations because at the age I’m at I’m simply not willing to die for a stupid deadline.

As it was, I was at work on Thursday until 9:30 and didn't walk in my door until 11.

I left early on Friday to deal with the whole infection/dental thing and still managed to log overtime for the week (EVEN MISSING WEDNESDAY!).

The dental thing is another story, I have to have teeth pulled and I’m supposed to have someone with me so they can knock me out for it. Let’s just say the person who was supposed to be there wasn’t and the dental thing turned into a nightmare anyway with me sitting in the waiting room for over an hour and a half and finally going up to complain. This got me in for a set of x-rays and a meeting with a oral surgeon that was all of three minutes explaining they would have to get authorization for the procedure om;y drawing things out more.

And of course at work, the idea is how much more can be piled on to the plate...

Let’s just say it’s been a week and leave it at that - my only thought now is when, oh when are my numbers coming up in the lottery!


Later this week, if I can I will write about my sudden discovery that I’m a White Supremacist. Seriously. It should make for good reading so stay tuned.

No comments: